• Newlyn Archive open days

    Partner institutions like the Newlyn Art Gallery and Penlee House Gallery have participated in Newlyn Archive Open Days.

    Here a member of the team at Newlyn Art Gallery works with a child on a project about Seaside Voices at the Open Day Faces of Newlyn held in January 2010.

  • Newlyn Archive activities

    A wide range of people including young people are involved in particular projects, both learning from and contributing to their community archive.

    Here the children from Newlyn School are accompanied by archive secretary Mary Ellery on a walk along the Tolcarne Stream as part of the Bygone Newlyn Project in 2011.

  • Jan Ruhrmund

    The Archive also provides exhibition material at annual public events held locally such as the Newlyn Fish Festival and the Party on the Pier (British Tourism) or at one‐off events such as the Passmore Edward Centenary that was held at Newlyn Art Gallery in 2011.

    Here is Jan Ruhrmund the Penzance Mayor signing the visitors book with Pam Lomax (seated) at the Newlyn Fish Festival, August 2010.

  • The Newlyn Archive is a collection of material about Newlyn.

    The purpose of the archive is to collect, preserve, store and share stories, documents, and pictures relating to the history of Newlyn from distant times until today.

    William Badcock was one of the crew of seven men who sailed the lugger Mystery to Australia in 1854. Here he is back in Newlyn with his wife Harriet.

  • Become a Friend of the Newlyn Archive.

    Friends of the Newlyn Archive are actively involved in creating and fashioning the Newlyn Archive by participating in events, adding to the archive resources, or taking responsibility for research in particular areas of the archive.

    Linda Holmes is a Friend of the Archive whose Penwith family roots go back to the seventeenth century. Here she is with membership secretary Diane Tredinnick talking to a visitor at the June 2010 Open Day Newlyn at War.

  • Friends of the Archive

    Friends of the Archive elect a committee of volunteers that includes a chairman, treasurer, secretary, and six
    ordinary committee members, four of whom take responsibility for membership, local liaison, publicity and
    telephone contact. The archivist is an ex officio member of the committee.

    Here is treasurer, Ron Hogg outside the Fishermen’s Rest where the archive held its exhibition as part of theParty on the Pier in March 2012.

  • Newlyn Archive open days

    Four annual Open Days, with free admission, focus on a chosen theme, and enable people to enjoy and learn from the archive holdings.

    Here are people at the Newlyn Family Open Day held in November 2011; they are engrossed with the old school photographs showing classes from the Wesleyan School, Newlyn Board School, Trewarveneth Infants andTolcarne School (now Newlyn School).

  • friends of the Newlyn Archive

    Amongst the Friends of the Archive, are a number of people who are willing to display and discuss their very
    considerable private archives at the Open Days.

    Here a small group of Friends listen to Jeff Richards (seated middle) as he shows his album of Newlyn
    postcards at the Open Day Fishing at Newlyn held in February 2010.

main-archive-up

art-archive-up

Lamorna Archive

Print

Reviews and News

Posted in Newlyn Archive News

Forrest

Linda Holmes photo of the shore off Newlyn Green (above) shows what looks like a remnant of a petrified tree exposed by the storms of February 2014. James T Blight, writing in 1876, described a forest that may have extended along the coast to St Michael's Mount, which was 'a hoare rock in a wood' and five or six miles from the sea; the bay was said to have been a plain, formed into parishes, each having its church, and laid out in meadows, corn-fields, and woods'; Blight also recorded that some people thought that the story was 'monkish fable'. But the story remained embedded in local consciousness and in 1884, the Reverend Wladislaw Somerville Lach-Szyrma, also argued that there was evidence of a flood that had covered a forest and an ancient town.

The Last Open Day

Amanda

There was a buzz of activity at the last Open Day, 'Those that Got Away: Newlyn's Migrants', despite a much lower attendance than usual, only 69 people managed to get along. The problem was the horrendous weather and the storms of the previous few days. Despite this, visitors seem to have had an enjoyable experience and the archive had a very productive day with many people sharing new information. We aimed to raise money as part of matched funding towards a bid we are making to the Heritage Lottery for the new project we have called 'When Newlyners walked to Lamorna' which involves the integration of the Lamorna Archive with the Newlyn Archive. In raising money, Amanda Thompson's cake stall and David Tredinnick's book stall were very successful, the former raising £80 and the latter £37. If we are successful with the lottery bid, the project will start on May 1st.

New Project, 2014

The new project aims to enhance archive facilities and broaden the community that makes use of these facilities by integrating a new dimension into the existing Newlyn Archive. The new dimension is about the Lamorna Valley and its artists, many of the latter with strong associations with Newlyn. The project will start on May 1st and concludes with a two-day event to be held in October 2014 at Trinity Centre. The two–day event will focus on the links between Newlyn and Lamorna, particularly those involving the Newlyn and Lamorna Colonies of Artists that emerged at the end of the nineteenth century and in the first part of the twentieth century. We hope to involve many groups in the community including school children and we will be recording oral histories from those with good memories.

Print

Those that Got Away: the Story of Newlyn’s Migrants, February 2014

Posted in Newlyn Archive Events

 3037 Bowls

The next open Day on Saturday 15 February 2014 10.00-3.00 tells the story of Newlyn's migrants. Some men left to make their fortune and did not get back, leaving behind grieving women and children; others were more successful and were joined by their families to make a better life in the new world; some returned much richer and named their homes after foreign places.

One such man was Joseph Johns Hichens (1866-1924) who built a double fronted granite house called Kenilworth on Buccas Pass, the new road between Newlyn Bridge and Jack Lane. (The photo shows JJ Hichens in later life playing the first wood on Penlee Bowling Green).

The house was named after a place in South Africa called Kenilworth, where Joseph Johns Hichens worked as a young man. As a boy, Joseph lived at Penguin House on St Peters Hill. He came from a long line of fishermen, being the second son of William Hichens, who was master and net owner of the fishing boat Dove. His middle name 'Johns' was his mother's maiden name.

He married Edith Richards from Chapel St in 1889 and some time after the birth of their second son, he joined the diamond rush to South Africa, alongside many other cousin Jacks and Jennies from Cornwall, and became tangled up in the Second Boer War.

He was at the diamond-mining town of Kimberley when it was besieged by the Boers from October 14, 1899 to February 15, 1900. There were at least three men from Newlyn in Kimberley during the siege. Joseph Hichens must have been fairly influential in Kimberley because he managed to send a post office telegram from Kimberley to local fish salesman, BJ Ridge, giving news that self, Harding and Wells had survived the Kimberley siege.

When Joseph returned to Newlyn he was full of the lucrative spoils of his South African adventure and this must have been used to purchase a substantial part of Chirgwin's Orchard, on both sides of the newly built Buccas Pass. He was engaged in a number of property deals leading in November 1905 to submitting plans for the substantial 8-room granite house in Buccas Pass. Hichens named it Kenilworth as a memorial to Cecil Rhodes who was instrumental in organizing the defence of Kimberley and during the long siege had opened his own house, named Kenilworth to his countrymen.

Do come and find out more about JJ Hichens and the many other Newlyners who sought their fortunes abroad.

pdfPoster_Front__Back.pdf26/01/2014, 15:41