Print

A Busy Period July-August 2016

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

For web  OD

Above: Visitors at the Newlyn Archive Open Day

To-ing and Fro-ing

The third Open Day of the year, 'To-ing and Fro-ing', on July 16 2016, proved to be a great success, in spite of it being hot and sunny outside (perfect beach weather), and also with it being Lafrowda day at St Just.

141 people turned up to enjoy the exhibits, which included pictures of horse drawn carts and wagonettes, old motor cars at Lamorna and Newlyn buses, fishing boats and mine engines and people marching to-and-fro.

The film show was very pertinent with the opportunity to view the locality from an old car being driven around West Cornwall, or seeing the amazing machine called the Dreckly Express that travels underground in a tunnel to take goods to the top of St Michael's Mount.

The display books were very popular with many people engrossed in their content throughout the day. A solid core of regulars attended, but there were quite number of new faces (including young people) and the committee were kept busy answering queries about family history and other things. It was great to see groups of people standing around discussing the exhibits, and sitting at the tables drinking coffee and having a good old chat. (David Tredinnick reporting).

For web2

Above: Brian Newton waits for visiitors at the Newlyn Archive Tent

Marazion Carnival

On July 31 2016, on a very sunny Sunday morning, members of Newlyn Archive set off to Marazion Annual Carnival. The transport was loaded up with tables, chairs, display boards and a large gazebo to arrive at 0900. On arrival we were given our pitch and local volunteers assisted in the setting up of our gazebo and tables. I would like to thank the Marazion Carnival Committee for allowing the Archive to have the pitch free of charge (normally £35-£45).

For web Jpeg

Above: Denny Harvey and Pam Lomax at the Newlyn Archive Tent 

It was a beautifully sunny day and the carnival was extremely busy with many thousands of visitors and local families. The Newlyn Archive display was active with visitors from as early as 10.30 even though the festivities didn't really start until 12 o'clock. There was a steady flow of visitors throughout the day with people from as far as Mexico, Holland and various places around the United Kingdom. We had local people eager to talk about the material on the display boards including a gentleman who worked at Levant and Geevor mines who incidentally worked with my grandfather many years ago. He told us many tales of mining and the old smuggler tunnels that exist around Pendeen. A local Marazion man told a story of a man from Newlyn who used to sell fish in Marazion when he was growing up. He used to come over by horse and cart and dip the fish in Red River to freshen them up before selling them to the locals.

The day was a great success for the Archive, promoting its work to the other side of Mount's Bay. A lot of local people said they would look at our web site for details of the next exhibition. Many thanks to all that helped on the day. (Denny Harvey reporting).

 

Print

News for May 2016

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

IMG 8938

We had another very successful open day last month. The Building of Newlyn Harbour was held at Trinity Centre on April 4 2016 and was attended by 172 people. We were very pleased to see Frank and Jan Ruhrmund in the crowd and managed to take a good photograph (at the top).

IMG 8912

As well as the archive providing information and photographs about the harbour and the people who made it happen, visitors to the Open Day also brought in some interesting items, such as the medal struck for the opening of the South Pier in 1888, which was brought along by Patsy Plumbridge.

Friends of the Archive, particularly Anne Forrest and Pauline Hope, have been busy this year trying to list and catalogue all the material we hold on West Country Artists. This work is nearing completion and we will soon have the updated catalogue list on line. The artists include the important early artists of the Newlyn and Lamorna Colonies but also artists from other parts of West Cornwall.

Chapter007

There is also a growing collection of material about living artists, some of whom have donated important archives of their work to the West Country Art Collection. One of these is Eric Ward, from St Ives (see his self portrait). Some of his most beautiful paintings depict maritime scenes around the coast, not surprising because before he gave his career to art full time he was a helmsman of the inshore lifeboat, coxswain of the all weather lifeboat and one-time St Ives Harbour master.

 

Print

March 2016 News

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

 

Publication1

The photos were taken at the last Open Day 'The Great Storms' on Saturday February 13, 2016, when we had a record 272 people visiting the exhibition. The photo on the left suggests we have an appeal to the very young. One wonders what important notes little Nuala is making and whether coming to the Open Day will influence her future interest in local history. On the right, a group of people give their full attention to the amazing footage that Denny Harvey found about local storms.

The Open Day had a wide appeal and we received some very complimentary comments in the visitor's book. Not only did we show pictures and text about the great Newlyn Storms, we also focused on storms at Lamorna and had some very exciting input from the Mousehole Archive at the start of what we hope will be a long and mutually beneficial collaboration.

This first Open Day of 2016 has given us a wonderful start to the New Year and we hope that Friends of the Archive will continue their support for the next four Open Days planned. If you have anything to contribute to the next Open Day, now is the time to send it to us.

The next Open Day, 'The Building of Newlyn Harbour', will take place on Saturday April 9 2016 10-3.00 at Trinity Centre Newlyn. We hope you will join us.

 

Print

November News 2015

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

118

The amazing picture of St Mary's Church photographed by Vaughan T Paul after the thunderstorm of 4/8/1899 shows work in progress to replace over 100 small panes of glass in the five southern windows which were broken. The Great Storms is the title of the first Newlyn Archive Open Day in 2016 which will be held at Trinity Centre, Chywoone Hill on Saturday 13th February 2016. DO PUT THE DATE IN YOUR DIARY.

2015 was a tremendous year for the archive and we ended the year with the 6th Annual General Meeting of the Friends of the Newlyn Archive on Saturday November 7th 2015 at 6pm followed by an evening entertainment held at the Newlyn Art Gallery who generously provided the accommodation. The following Friends were elected to the committee for 2015-2016: David Tredinnick (chairperson), Ron Hogg (treasurer), Amanda Thompson (secretary), Tom Lodge (deputy chairperson), Diane Tredinnick (membership secretary), Jay Coleman, Diane Donohue, Anne Forrest (to liase with the Lamorna Society), Andrew Gordon, Denny Harvey, Linda Holmes and Jean Lodge. Margaret Follows was co-opted for school liaison. The honorary archivist Pam Lomax remains an ex officio member of the Committee. Reports were received from the chairman, the treasurer and the honorary archivist.

At the end of the meeting Friend of the Archive John Lambourn talked about The Journal of Henry Kelynack which was amongst the material passed to the Archive by the Newlyn Harbour Master, Rob Parsons.

The journal covered a voyage Henry Kelynack made as a signed on crew member of the 'Queen of the West'. The voyage started at Penzance on June 2, 1851 and finished at Penzance on February 15, 1852. Henry Kelynack recorded details of the weather, sail changes, work activities, cargo handled, navigation aspects such as land seen, speed of the vessel and sights taken with sextants. From the journal it was possible to deduce that the 'Queen of the West' was a topsail schooner. The journal was a remarkable achievement on Henry Kelynack's part as he was only 18 at the time.

John Lambourn's research at Truro Records office revealed records of the 'Queen of the West' registered at Penzance as a two masted schooner, 79 feet in length, 13 feet breadth, 159 tons, square-sterned, with a female figurehead. It was built October 16, 1848 at Newport Monmouthshire and lost in the Mediterranean on November 10, 1860. In keeping with all registered vessels its ownership was in 64 shares which were held by: Thomas Roberts Iron founder (12 shares); Abraham Roberts Gentleman (12 shares); Stephen Tregarthen Master from the parish of Paul (16 shares); Mary Moore Spinster from Liverpool (8 shares); William Gambell Sailmaker from Liverpool (8 shares); John Young and John Cook Ship builders from Newport (8 shares).

The 'Queen of the West' loaded ballast for Cadiz where it was discharged into a barge and loaded salt and barrels of olives for Buenos Aires where this was discharged and a cargo of tallow, hides and bones was loaded for Penzance. This might seem an unlikely cargo but Penzance was very active in trading and manufacturing in the past. There were at least two tanneries in Penzance, one of them at Chyandour owned by the Bolithos. The bones were used to produce many things which we now make of plastic i.e. buttons, cutlery handles etc. The tallow was much needed as a lubricant and other things which our oil industry now provides. Every axle every cog needs lubricant. In the past there were traders known as tallow chandlers. Newlyn and Penzance had very industrious pasts, we tend to think it was all mining, fishing and farming but there was a lot more to it than that.

After the AGM the usual evening of entertainment titled Cark, Byes, Cags and Callamarks was provided for Friends of the Newlyn Archive. The entertainment and a quiz, which had been organised by Andrew Gordon, was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone, not least because of Andrew's showmanship and sterling readings from David and Diane Tredinnick, Liz Harman, Dave Barron and Tom Lodge. A highlight of the evening was Jay
Coleman who played the guitar and sang three songs that told stories of Newlyn's past. If you are not a friend of the archive, it is worth joining just to get along to the annual entertainment!

Print

Review of the Artists Houses Open Day

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

For Website

The last Newlyn Archive Open Day of 2015, the two-day event 'Where the artists lived in Newlyn and Lamorna', was a great success. It was open on Friday 2/10/2015 from 2pm-7pm at Trinity Centre when there were 105 visitors. Visitors included pupils from Newlyn School shown in the picture above. They did a quiz organised by Friend of the Archive Margaret Follows which involved some serious searching of the display folders and interrogation of the display boards; they also helped to create a 'tissue' stained glass window which referenced some of the Newlyn Artists' paintings suggesting 'hope' like TC Gotch's Alleluia. Other Friday visitors included members of the Lamorna Society, as the open day coincided with their annual meeting in Lamorna. On Friday evening the Wheal Betsy room was full (39+ people) for a lecture given by honorary archivist Pam Lomax to complement the exhibition. On Saturday 3/10/2015 a further 117 visitors came to the exhibition. As well as local Friends of the Archive, there were visitors from much further afield who enjoyed the display of photographs and documents from the archive and stayed longer than usual to explore the archive display books and folders made available to peruse. Committee members and Friends of the Archive were available to help with the organisation of the event and to field enquiries about local history in Newlyn and Lamorna. Alongside the regular archive displays, the fund-raising was particularly successful with Jean Lodge doing well with the raffle and sale of posters and Andrew Gordon making record sales of second-hand books.

Do keep an eye on the website as we will be pasting information about next years open days shortly.

Print

Open Day & Community Award July 2015

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

5470

The photograph shows Margaret Follows, Sue Hampshire (Chair of CAHG), Anne Forrest and Julia Nash (Friend of the Archive) on the occasion of the presentation of the award for Inspiration to the Newlyn Archive at the Community Archive & Heritage Group Conference at University College London on July 15 2015.

The Newlyn Archive Open Day on Saturday 18 July 2015 'When the Quarry Guns Sounded' was a great success with 146 visitors. Our rather depleted group of helpers did a sterling job with Jean Lodge taking on the job of organising the day and running the raffle, Ann Pilcher helped by Judith Porter on the door, Andrew Gordon selling second hand books, Diane Donohue helping with family research, Denny Harvey showing some amazing film footage, Pam Lomax sorting out archive queries, and David Tredinnick, Linda Holmes, Tom Lodge and Ron Hogg helping visitors around the space.

Two of our committee members not on duty that day (and shown in the photo above) had in the previous week been in London to pick up an award from the Community Archive & Heritage Group for the Newlyn Archive being the 'Most Inspirational Archive and Heritage Group of 2014'. We had been asked not to publicise this until after the awards were announced at the Conference held at University College London on July 15th. So it was announced to Friends and visitors to our Open Day three days later.

Pam Lomax had entered the Newlyn Archive into the competition earlier in the year. Her entry outlined the work done by the archive in the year leading up to the exhibition, 'Newlyn at Play: When Newlyners Walked to Lamorna Cove' held on Friday and Saturday 3-4 October 2014. She described Friday morning openings at Trinity Centre where visitors share information, donate material or consult the archive; the importance of the website which encourages information to be exchanged by email, letter or telephone so that the resources of the archive are shared with the widest community possible; the books on local history themes that are periodically published by the archive; the popular Open Days held 4 or 5 times each year with 125-225 visitors attending, when there are films, photographic displays, competitions and activities in which old and young can participate and become involved with the archive.

Most appropriately Anne Forrest made the presentation for the Newlyn Archive which included a slide show; as President of the Lamorna Society, she has been closely involved with the integration of their archive with the Newlyn Archive and has personally been responsible for new research and bringing new material (and new Friends) into the archive. Supporting Anne was Margaret Follows who is the Newlyn Archive's link person with Newlyn School and has conducted a number of projects with the children including two in 2014.

This is what Anne had to say about the conference: 'The speakers and award winners' presentations were fascinating and inspirational in their diversity. This year, CAHG's keyword was 'community' and our entry impressed the judges by our bringing together two communities, Newlyn and Lamorna. Our entry won the category for 'Most Inspirational Archive and Heritage Group of 2014'.

See the link with the Community Archives website which has been added to our links. This includes a report on the award the archive received.

Print

Updating the Archive, June 2015

Written by archive. Posted in Newlyn Archive News

3727.1 1956

Above: J Irving Thomas was one of the early conductors who led the choir to many county honours until his retirement in 1956 when he was presented with an FM radio, then a very new product. Front row: Mrs Thomas, J Irving Thomas, Leonard Hall, John White, Second row: Gordon Richards, Clarence Wallis, Andy Gendall, Bernard Hitchens, Cecil Weeks. Third row: Clive Nicholls, Jim Renfree, Roy Bersey, Harry Hosken, Ronald Whatley, Gordon Williams, Horton Bolitho, Louis Hunkin, Jimmy Harvey (out of picture). Top row: Leonard Hall, Leslie Sleeman, Dick Sleeman, Bill Simons, Phil Gendall, Dick McLary and Jack Rowe.

Newlyn Male Choir

The history of the choir until 1991 is well recorded in Ivan Balls' short history Buccas Song published in 1991. The choir had its beginning in Mr William Richards tailor's shop in narrow Church Street on the cliff above old Newlyn Harbour where a group of men met to sing together. More formally, it began with a Charity Concert in September 1920 organised by William Richards to raise funds for the family of the trammer William John Harvey, who had died in an accident at Penlee Quarry. This led in due course to a concert on 19/9/1921 at Trinity Methodist Schoolroom with William Richards conducting and W Norris Williams as the accompanist.

4730.1 MVC BadgeOver nearly a century the choir has left its mark on the history of Cornish male choirs. Its original logo, which is pictured on its badge (right), consisted of a shield with four quarters depicting a Mount's Bay lugger, St Piran's cross, Newlyn harbour lighthouse, and a lyre. Towards the end of 1950 this was modified when 'voice' was dropped from its name and the Newlyn Male Voice Choir became the Newlyn Male Choir.

The choir has been awarded numerous certificates to mark its success at the various Cornish Competitions and at times it was considered to be one of the best male choirs in Cornwall. Sadly, the choir disbanded in 2014 but its considerable archive which is part of the heritage of Newlyn, is safe. Here at the Newlyn Archive we have just finished sorting the vast collection of material that has been collected over 94 years and the catalogue is available for you to download as a PDF file from this website. What you need to do is click on 'Archive Catalogue'. Then click on 'Leisure' under the main archive. At the bottom click on the PDF link 'Leisure'. When the PDF opens click on 'save a copy'. If your family is from Newlyn no doubt your family name is somewhere in this file!

The physical archive includes two meticulously kept minute books dated 1935-1964 and 1965-1998 and a file of more recent minutes kept by Bryan Marshall who was secretary from 1998 until the choir's demise in 2014. There are 10 files of letters listed by year and sorted by date and 7 files of photos, programmes and other memorabilia that document in detail the story of the choir. There are a number of miscellaneous items including the NMC Banner 'Deurnes Mannenkoor' dated 8/1/1975 and embroidered by Mrs Barbara Hosking. There are also a number of cassettes and videos which we hope to get transferred to CDs and DVDs so that they can be accessed by future generations.

This valuable collection of photos, letters and documents links well with other material in the Newlyn Archive. For example, a letter to the choir from Job Morris at Sentinel Recording Studios dated 3/4/1989 announces the end of Sentinel Records (Cornwall). This venture originated in Newlyn with premises in the Strand (see Place in Catalogue). John Henry 'Harry' Matthews (1895-1954), who was one of the founder members of the Newlyn Male Voice Choir, and one of its first conductors was awarded the Medaille Reconnaissance Française for work at Newlyn during the war (see War in Catalogue). Brenda Wooton who was the soloist with the choir for the 11th Inter-Celtic Festival in L'Orient, Brittany in 1981 worked in Peter Ellery's Tremaen Pottery on the Norrad Slip (see Art Archive: Arts and Crafts in Catalogue). More generally, through the years many of the venues have been Methodist chapels confirming the relation between Methodism and singing (see Organisations in the Catalogue).

The archive holds an amazing record of the choir but there are gaps in its material. We do not have copies of all the programmes or stories for all the events. If you have a collection of material about the choir, why not lodge it in the archive for safe-keeping? We would also like to hold an open day about the choir in 2016 but for this we will have to find funding so please become a friend of the archive (£5 per annum) or send us a donation towards the 2016 event. The Treasurer is Ron Hogg, Wheal Betsy, Chywoone Hill, Newlyn TR18 5AP.