The next Archive Open Day, Church, Chapel and Playtime on Saturday 27 April 2013, 10.00-3.30 at Trinity Centre, Chywoone Hill, Newlyn, provides a history of the churches, chapels and other religious institutions that have existed in Newlyn from earliest times until the post-war period and describes their role in the social life of Newlyn.
The location of the Open Day is the main hall in the old Wesleyan Sunday school built in Jack Lane in 1912 alongside the older Chapel built in 1832. When the Sunday school was converted into Trinity Centre in 2007, a new Sanctuary was built opening from the main hall. This will be open during the Open Day and visitors will have the opportunity to see the wonderful woodwork, copper work & stained glass used to create it by local craftsmen David Need (carpentry), Michael Johnson (copper) & Victoria Reid (stained glass). Included in the exhibition will be photographs showing how the work was installed. There will also be a display of relevant artefacts including the stone-laying implements used to build Trinity Sunday School. Visitors may also watch the short film, Songs of Praise, in which the Newlyn Male Choir (based at Trinity) sings at the (then) new Fish Market.
The main exhibition covers the history of the Anglican Church of St Peter's, the Wesleyan Chapel at Trinity and the two Primitive Methodist Chapels, the Ebenezer in Boase Street and Centenary at Bellevue; it explores the role that these institutions have played in the educational and social life of the Newlyn community. There are also exhibition boards about Paul Church, Sancreed Church, Methodist Chapels at Mousehole, the Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen and the Fishermen's Rest at Newlyn Town.