The photo shows the Girls Friendly Society (GFS) on their Maypole Dancers Float’ returning home after the Carnival in 1952 (Archive reference 860). All the girls in the picture are named on an archive copy of the photo. The GFS was the female equivalent of the Boys Brigade and was a C of E organisation.
It was located at St Peter's Church was run by Sister Alice. This section of the archive catalogue lists information under a number of headings to do with organisations. The headings include the British Legion, the Newlyn Environment Group, Girl Guides, the Girls Friendly Society, the Newlyn Association, the Salvation Army, Boy Scouts and Sea Scouts.
PDF link: Organisations Archive